Saturday, January 5, 2008

Presents, Purchases, & FUN!

Although perhaps I thought I'd be art-ing today, it turned out that I had to drive my oldest male child to work, run a bank errand, stop for gas. And then my Lovely Mother called to say she was stopping by for a visit and with some gifties for me. When she arrived, we sat and chatted in my livingroom. We always seem to be doing a swap ourselves -- her bag o'stuff for me for my bag o'stuff for her. I had a sack full of DVD's to loan her, along with the 3 most recent issues of Romantic Home. And Momsk brought me my favorite coffee-ice cream mixture from Cold Stone, a beckoning-with-promises-of-delight book about Beatrix Potter, and a HUGE surprise from one of her co-workers, who is now on My Hero list. Chris F., you cannot imagine how your gift (pictures below) stirred me! Thank you! A bag of leaves from MARYLAND!!! Maryland is the place I consider my hometown. I miss Maryland, especially (especially!) autumn in Maryland. Oh, be still my heart! A bag of autumn Maryland leaves, and suddenly I can smell Rock Creek Park, picture the old mill, walk the path along the railroad tracks to my junior high school, zip up in my mind the thick blue sweatshirt I wore on September afternoons up at the park, feel the whoosh under my back and feet as I would swing or seesaw or self-propel the merry-go-round. All this memory, packed in a bag of leaves. Nothing exceeds this color palette. I have the perfect place to keepsake these leaves. They've traveled so far, too, let them rest in sweet-smelling yellow tissue paper. Nestled together, the way they do on the ground, & in the branches before they airily tumble down. My two favorites. Loveliness.
A leaf-covered, leaf-shaped box for my Maryland leaves. Perfection!

And then? Well, if one has to drive one's youngest male child to the gym, one might as well visit the 99-cent store on the way home, right? This is why I adore the 99-cent store. Two packs of paintbrushes, a soldering iron [to use to cut stencils, I can't find my stencil burner, EESH GIRL!!! There is a reason for that (see last picture in this blog entry!)], packaging tape for transfer-making, and 2 shower curtains for the price of one, to use as drop cloths for mess-making. $5. AND LOOK WHAT THE MAILMAN BROUGHT!!!! These Lyra watercolor crayons represent a MONSTROUS splurge for me. But I had a gift certificate, and the company (Wilde Ideas) was offering 35% off if I ordered before 12/31. My hands are literally shaking at having them here, at last! Ooh. Ahhh. Aren't they lovely? And slowly, slowly, one-by-one, I am building my Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint supply. I don't want ALL the colors, but there are a few more specific colors I aspire to. This is why I don't like to turn around in my studio.! Ok, ok, okayuuhhhh! So I'm a little behind on studio cleaning! Somewhere in this mess is my stencil burner. I think.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Hey girl your day sounds like my day except my day was from YOU... Thank you so much I love my girl and all my presents. you rock
mwah me

Blogger said...

Did you know you can create short links with AdFly and make money for every click on your shortened links.