[all images Googled]
This week's Wings 4 You prompts involve taking our poetry writings from last week and morphing them into affirmations. Affirmations are HEAVY!! It's so ... unaccustomed ... to affirm myself -- & that being the point entirely. Dame Carla invited us to create five affirmations under the lead-ins of "I am", "I have", and "I can." We were also encouraged to write a sentence or two explaining why we wanted to carry these forward with us on this journey.
Without further ado, here are mine.
1) A force of nature (tornado): seeking stimulation and change, and resilient enough for any terrain. This is the essence of any journey -- curiosity, flexibility, internal strength, a kind of bull-headed determination to forge ahead in spite of obstacles.
2) Low maintenance & capable of going inward for my nourishment (sunflower): I have my own root system. So without support, or the awareness of others, I have what I must have to seek, to move, to progress. Essentials - I know the difference between Need and Want.
3) A map of my own creation: guide posts are internal, & not very easily master-minded. Will keep me on a forward, seeking path.
4) A journalist: I am aware beyond the usual. I see detail and I am discerning. Also, I learn on my feet.
5) Afraid of stagnation: this will keep me on a path that is also introspective, willing to self-analyze, and make adjustments as I uncover them. I take criticism. I HEAR it, & seek the nugget of the lesson contained inside.
1) Resilience: I'm used to new arenas, new people, new experiences, as a regular diet. I know what I'm capable of within those kinds of circumstances.
2) Height: by that I mean spine, boldness, confidence, and a kind of sure-footedness of intuition.
3) Multi-lingual expressive abilities & articulateness: pen, art, verbal, knowledge, intellect, information. Many ways of touching each experience, gathering it to me.
4) Rawness: I will do what needs to be done, take expressive risks, not so worried about appearing a fool.
5) An ability to hold mentally still for digestion and assimilation = growth: Everything is a quest. What else is there? What subtlety have I missed? What other conclusion might I have drawn? Who am I in all of this? How does that relate to who & where I want to be? What is needed? [This is a standard Toni self-questionnaire.] I can: [This one was the most difficult for me to complete.]
1) Negotiate any terrain, climate, or personality: My life has proved this to me over & again. I believe it as easily and fully as I breathe.
2) Provide for myself emotionally: see 1 above. I'm usually alone, doing just that. But I can also connect, & well. People also seek me out for that, as a listener, for advice.
3) Travel light: Change of mental undies is easy, & I need water, a pen, & paper. I like to have coffee & fruit, the occasional pastry -- but I'm happy to eat bread alone. I prefer to bring back more than I take, although I give amply, too.
4) Express myself: with or without language. I can read/intuit people & environments. I can assert my presence or diminish it, as needed. I am NOT arrogant -- rather, I'm absorbed 'reading' my climate and all parts of it.
5) Be silent, when needed: I don't like it, but I recognize futility of contribution when faced with it. I can lay low, like a snake, but my tongue is always out, detecting.
Dame Carla's final aspect of this exercise was to create a visual 'affirmation board' to accompany these affirmations. Mine is presently in front of the fan, drying ... I think I envision one, possibly two, more layers, but tomorrow I'll post it in whatever stage of completion I find it. Heavy. It shouldn't be an EXERCISE of such magnitude & complexity & difficulty to make positive self-pronouncements. Why is it I could've done the converse, the 'negative', in 1/4 the time with twice the output? Something ELSE to ponder.
Monday, March 17, 2008
[all images Googled]